Thursday, May 6, 2010

What an awful nap.


Short chapter, pretty nifty. It got slow when the met the indians, but here's what made me not happy. In the derka before the chapter where it lists the events, it says "Grizzlies." There were no grizzlies. As I recall, all they saw were "great shambling figures of bears." How's that for a let down? But the judge made up for this.

Is he psychic or something? He knew the kid was hiding all along; they weren't fooling anyone. When the judge first passed, was the kid going to shoot him? Tobin says "Ye'll get no such a chance as that again." I guess that was as good a chance as any that they could kill the judge. If they had fired, the judge would've surely died; even though he knew they were hiding there, he may not have known exactly where, and you can't defend yourself against a bullet. But the judge knew the kid wouldn't shoot: "you've not the heart of a common assassin." He knows everything about the kid. He knows what he's thinking, all the time. He comes back and gives the speech, claiming Toadvine and Brown are still alive. The kid has to believe this to some extent. After all, he doesn't have any hard evidence of the judges murdering the two. Maybe the priest has been mad the whole time. Maybe he's just got some inexplicable hatred for the judge to where he would do anything to bring him down, but the judge is just too strong. He should've known, you don't mess with the judge.

No you don't.
(I hope this isn't super failure. I'm not really sure how to harness the sorcery of salliefeelds)

Like I said earlier, the indian part kind of lost me. I know they don't like the Yumas, but other than that I got nothing really. I guess it was kind of ironic for "savages" to be so hospitable (yeah, I totally ripped that from the intro to the chapter). The pistol part (301), what was that about? Were the indians just messing with him? They are enticed by the "pistola."

I love when they arrive at the sea. That last line of the chapter, "where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea," is just great. I've never heard the ocean described so perfectly. And the slight change in verb tense, I'm starting to understand now. The things that go on, things that aren't exclusive to the setting but whose lives are parallel to this earth (fire, the ocean, the judge) are described in present tense. I don't understand the "salmoncolored othersea." I've never seen salmoncolored water (think of a salmon shirt, Patty), maybe he's trying to say there are a lot of salmon in the water. I don't know (idk, for you hip youngsters).

I'll do some words! (that's a factorial sign by the way)
Thunderstone (303): I relate this to pokémon. Maybe it's some kind of mineral, but the only "thunderstone" google could find was some dumpy metal band... named thunderstone.

No comments:

Post a Comment