Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Who thought a blog could be so engaging? Too bad they couldn't have thought of a name with a MORE boring connotation... ah well.

I'm impressed with all of your comments and observations; I've probably read this book over a dozen times in five years, and I'm still picking up on nu[new]ances and items (bwah ha ha .... king made a funny) from you fine folks :)

While looking back to the "Leonids" reference, I thought of something else:

"Night of your birth. Thirty-three. The Leonids they were called. God how the stars did fall. I looked for blackness, holes in the heavens. The Dipper stove."

stove

–verb
a pt. and pp. of stave.

Interesting... here's a cool link to a podcast story on the Leonids of 1833:

http://www.pe.com/localnews/sbcounty/stories/PE_News_Local_S_meteor16.431f9a3.html

Why did the author include this vivid imagery in the second paragraph of his epic?

Another thought / question I have, but had never thought of before: we see the use of a first person narrator in this very same paragraph - who is the narrator? I don't recall seeing this use of narration (1st person) in the rest of the novel... as you may have guessed, I'm a huge fan of this novel, and I refuse to believe that every word and phrase doesn't have some purpose and meaning, especially in the beginning. McCarthy is known to research his novels extensively / obsessively and writes in a mostly hermitical setting - he doesn't do interviews even... (unrelated point) Nonetheless, who is the "I" here? I'm curious to get to the end of the book and look back at this question to see if there's a clearer response.

-sk

No comments:

Post a Comment