Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Chapter 2

This chapter was a slow read, but was needed to advance the story I suppose. I had expected there to be more fighting, but it was still good otherwise.

I want to start of by asking if anyone else thought the hermit was a bit creepy. I mean he keeps a dried up African American heart, and was bent over the kid, watching him sleep. I think McCarthy did a great job making him seem like the crazy racist guy living in a shack. I really thought the quote, "There is four things that can destroy the earth... Women, whiskey, money, and niggers," was interesting because it shed a little light on this crazy hermit's philosophy. Though a quote from the hermit I like more than that is, "You can find meanness in the least of creatures, but when God made man the devil was at his elbow."

I liked where the kid went to the cantina in Bexar. It was interesting to have the kid not understand the barman and the barman not understand the kid, and then having to use that old man as a medium. I thought it was funny that the kid asked the old man if he spoke american and not English. The later fight scene with the barman was entertaining to say the least, and certainly makes this chapter interesting. I'm starting to wonder why this fifteen year old kid is this violent. I know he's the son of an alcoholic, and its 1849, but only that doesn't make a kid kill a guy with a broken glass bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment