Sunday, April 11, 2010

Chapter 4

This chapter was alright, though it read fairly slow for me. I thought the only interesting part was the Indian attack at the end. I also noticed there was a lot of run-on sentences in this chapter, not sure if it's been like that for the entire book and I'm just slow to notice it, but it stands out this chapter. Some of those sentences lasts for 1/4 of the page, and like a few lines on the next. It's not too annoying or anything, I just thought I'd share it.

I think the reason most of this chapter was slow for me was because the kid was barely mentioned, and most of the things mentioned about the Captain's troops were pretty boring. I did think that those soldiers that died with cholera was interesting. I'm surprised they just stuck their sick with their food and supplies though. It kind of defeats the purpose of separating the sick when the sick can cough and bleed on the food, thereby infecting others. I did think it was pretty honorable that they buried everyone that died.

Alex, I did notice the phallus. I read that part and had to re-read it to confirm what it said because I was not expecting that. I wonder why McCarthy used that term, because it still meant what it means now back then.

I thought the Indian invasion part was pretty sick and twisted. If the scalping and dismemberment didn't satisfy any sadists out there, then the obscene sodomizing definitely does and then some. I don't understand why someone would do that, but I guess there are sick people out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment