Sunday, April 11, 2010

Blog. It rhymes with many other words, but the main one is frog.

This chapter didn't talk about the kid, save for a line or two in the last paragraph. This chapter was all about the army. I think the author focused on the group as a whole to emphasize their oneness and solidarity.

Throughout the chapter, the phrase "they rode on," is reiterated several times. Simple, blatant statements like this really do it for me. It says so much with just three (count 'em) words. They're riding. They're still riding. Shucks they might as well ride on forever.

Since King mentioned McCarthy's use of similes, I kept an eye out for those through the chapter. My personal favorite: "Their mounts advanced elongate before them like strands of the night from which they'd ridden, like tentacles to bind them to the darkness yet to come." It's bloody perfect. Tentacles to bind them. And to add, it's pretty obvious foreshadowing.

Patty, Drewski. I know you guys saw this one. "The head of a great red phallus." Oh man. He just said it. That is worthy of two guffaws, three chuckles, and four snickers. And let's not stop with the red phallus. "[the red phallus] sat squat and pulsing (PULSING!) and malevolent behind them." Wow. Homo-erotic nightmare.

And so the chapter drags on. Everything is terrible as they fellas ride across the wretched desert. Then came the injuns (can I say that in AP?). Vivid images. The clown faces, the funhouse figures. He describes them perfectly. There is nothing in the world worse than these savages. And: "holding up great handfuls of viscera, genitals." Ew, ew, get it off my hands. Yes, that's nasty. I really don't know who won this battle though. Did everybody kill each other and roll around in the slop? I don't know. It's up for discussion (unless of course there was a clear winner and I overlooked it. In which case I'll look like someone who doesn't look like a good someone).

No comments:

Post a Comment